Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating. The method you select will determine the duration of these periods. You can read more about the different methods HERE.
Let us share some tips with you to make fasting easier.
Try to stick to a well-balanced eating plan to get all the essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that are important for the proper functioning of our body. But don’t forget to track your calorie intake not to overeat in your eating windows as it may lead to weight gain. The main point of fasting is to give your body rest from digestion, but it doesn’t mean you need to starve.
These are some more food recommendations:
- After your fasting period ends, eat foods that are nutrient-dense and contain plenty of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
- It is advised that you go for easily digestible foods that won’t give your body a hard time.
- Do not break a fast with a huge meal. It can be tempting to eat a huge meal to break the fast but, this could leave you feeling bloated, uncomfortable, and tired.
- It is recommended that the meal you take to break a fast be at most 500 Kcal or 50% of your regular calorie intake.
- Eat more calories from high-quality fats during your meals so your body doesn’t use sugar as much for fuel.
- While breaking a fast, you need to avoid high-carb, high-sugar foods.
When your eating window begins you may follow the meal plan suggested in the BetterMe app.
If needed, you can log your own meals – find instructions HERE.
When you are fasting, you are encouraged to drink more water to stay hydrated. There are a number of drinks that you can consume while fasting in order to avoid breaking the fast. They include:
- Water (you may add a slice of lemon or fresh mint to add to the flavor).
- Unsweetened tea and coffee.
- Diluted apple cider vinegar – try a couple of tablespoons diluted in a glass of water.
Drinks to avoid: soda, diet soda, coconut water, alcohol, juice.
There are two crucial things to remember when it comes to your beverages when you fast:
- Make sure you drink enough liquids.
- Avoid drinks containing calories.
Check out some of our Blog articles for more tips on Fasting: